We are entering the third year of our annual Campaigners Survey, in which we explore what factors are affecting campaigning today. The results from 2016 and 2017 are available below.
The latest view from campaigners is that government restrictions, such as the Lobbying Act, and negative media coverage are the biggest external threats to the legitimacy of campaigning. Within organisations, there is growing concern that a more cautious attitude amongst senior managers and trustees is also taking its toll.
- 90% of respondents said that campaigning by the VCSE sector is under threat.
- Half thought it had got worse since 2016.
- 87% thought that government measures, such as the Lobbying Act, are threatening the legitimacy of campaigning.
- 55% cited negative media coverage of the voluntary, charity and social enterprise (VCSE) sector.
- 63% said that greater caution amongst senior managers and trustees also threatens the legitimacy of campaigning – a 10% increase on 2016.
The 2018 survey is scheduled for the summer.