In 2018, half of the campaigners we surveyed told us that the campaigning climate has deteriorated. They said the top three factors threatening the legitimacy of campaigning are:
- negative media coverage of civil society
- the Lobbying Act and its regulation
- conditions of public funding that ban campaigning activities.
But there are signs that change-makers are recovering their voice and confidence. A third say they have started campaigning more over the past three years, while 28% report taking a more robust tone.
- 93% said that campaigning by the VCSE sector is under threat
- 66% said negative media coverage is a threat to the legitimacy of campaigning
- 64% cited The Lobbying Act and its regulation as a threat
- 62% identified conditions of public funding that prevent lobbying, campaigning or advocacy as a threat
- 55% said that greater caution among Senior Managers and Trustees also threatens the legitimacy of campaigning